The reason for license plate search must comply with allowable reasons under the Federal Driver Privacy Protection Act such as assisting in a or an anticipation of a:
Most Common Reasons
- Damage to Vehicle or Property - Reporting, Recovery, & Insurance Claims - #4 or #6
- Hit & Run Accidents - #4 or #6
- Criminal Cases (Assaults, Battery, Theft, Homicide, Etc.) - #4
- Civil Court Cases (Civil Suits, Personal Injury, Property Damages, Etc.)
- Possible Divorce & Infidelity Investigations- #4
- Stalking / Harassment Investigations - #4
- Custody Type Cases
- Trespassing on Owned or Business Property - #3 or #4
- Collect On or Enforce Civil Judgment
- Process Service - #4
- Notice to owner of towed or impounded vehicle - #7
- To Assist in Preventing Fraud, - #3
- Business Debt Recovery - #3
- For the Security Interest of a Business - #3
- To assist in an investigation performed by a license detective agency - #8
- Information Necessary to Enforce or Establish an Order of Protection - #4
- Enforcement or Collection on Parking Violations - #3 or #4
- To Avoid or to Report Business / Contractor Fraud - #3 or #4
- Identity Fraud Investigations
For use by any government agency, including any court or law enforcement agency, in carrying out its functions, or any private person or entity acting on behalf of a Federal, State, or local agency in carrying out its functions.
For use in the normal course of business by a legitimate business or its agents, employees, or contractors, but only -
(a) - to verify the accuracy of personal information submitted by the individual to the business or its agents, employees, or contractors; and
(b) - if such information as so submitted is not correct or is no longer correct, to obtain the correct information, but only for the purposes of preventing fraud by, pursuing legal remedies against, or recovering on a debt or security interest against, the individual.
For use in connection with any civil, criminal, administrative, or arbitral proceeding in any Federal, State, or local court or agency or before any self-regulatory body, including the service of process, investigation in anticipation of litigation, and the execution or enforcement of judgments and orders, or pursuant to an order of a Federal, State, or local court.
For use by any insurer or insurance support organization, or by a self-insured entity, or its agents, employees, or contractors, in connection with claims investigation activities, antifraud activities, rating or underwriting.
For use in providing notice to the owners of towed or impounded vehicles.
For use by any licensed private investigative agency or licensed security service for any purpose permitted under this subsection.
For use by an employer or its agent or insurer to obtain or verify information relating to a holder of a commercial driver's license that is required under chapter 313 of title 49.